- 01 May 2011
- Hartwood Elementary School
Role: iOS Developer
- – Develop educational iOS game using Xcode and Interface Builder.
- – Built system to read words in from a file that could be modified, scramble them, and display them as buttons for the user to unscramble.
- – Built game logic and graphic update loops.
- – Built the UI and implemented sound manager.
- – Created artwork using Photoshop and imported it into the project.
- – Publish the game on the App Store.
Length: 4 months
Space Spell is an iOS application that I developed with Stephen Jackson as part of an independent study. Stephen and I worked on the programming during the school semester but weren’t able to finish before the semester ended. So I collaborated with my friend, Damian Allen, over the summer so that it could be released on the App Store. I created the artwork and Damian did the voice acting. Below is the description associated with it on the App Store.
“Space spell is a fun and exciting game with great sound effects. Unscramble the word the Space Captain announces, get all the “lettered spaceships” to the correct docking station and the captain will have you on your way. If the “lettered spaceships” are not correctly docked don’t worry, only those that are incorrect will be sent out to space to try again.
Space spell has a large variety of words including the 37 most common word families and almost all the words from the Dolch word list. Word families are groups of words that have a common feature or pattern – they have some of the same combinations of letters in them and a similar sound. Space spell includes the 37 most common word families in English. The word families include ack, ain, ake, ale, all, ame, an, ank, ap, ash, at, ate, aw ay, eat, ell, est, ice, ick, ide, ight, ill, in, ine, ing, ink, ip, it, ock, oke, op, ore, ot, uck ,ug, ump, unk.
The Dolch word list is a list of commonly used English words which children need to recognize in order to achieve reading fluency. Space spell uses over 100 words from the pre-primer, primer, kindergarten, first, second and third grade Dolch list. Pre-primer and primer have been lumped in with kindergarten.
How to play:
1. Select your spelling word list
– You can use the scroll menu on the list, Dolch List or Word Families Icons
– If you select Dolch then you will need to select Kindergarten, First, Second or Third Grade on the scroll menu
– If you select Word Families you will get a list of vowels to select from and then use the scroll menu to zoom in on your word list.
2. The space captain will tell you what word to spell, you are to drag the spaceships to the correct docking station.
3. If some of the rockets are not at the correct station, the captain will put them out to space and you need to find the correct space dock for only those letters.”